Why Client Service is a Big Factor in Growing Your Agency
Are you feeling overwhelmed by client demands? Struggling to choose the ideal clients who are right for your agency? Have you lost a major client and you don’t understand why? There are a lot of factors involved in growing your digital agency. But the most important factor is how well you serve your clients.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- Why determining and communicating agency focus is important.
- Setting goals and making sure your agency is on the right track.
- 3 ways to use communication as a catalyst for growing your agency.
On this episode, I talked to Tyler Dolph, the President, and Partner at the Wisconsin-based digital advertising and marketing agency, Rocket Clicks. Tyler joined the agency in a business development role about 6 years ago, after a chance meeting with the agency owner on an airplane flight. Shortly after joining the team there, the President of the agency resigned and Tyler stepped into the role. Since then, the agency has grown from a team of 12 to 39, and the client list has grown from about 15 to 85. Tyler is here to offer some insights about the emphasis his agency places on client services, and how it has helped them grow.
Why Determining and Communicating Agency Focus is Important
“We’re not a full-service agency, we’re not everything to everyone,” Tyler says of Rocket Clicks. Once the agency was financially stable, they discovered it was OK not to take on every client. Instead, they learned to focus the agency’s service offering and narrow down to what they’re best at.
Another important part of this process is determining who the right client is. The best way to accomplish this is identifying your ideal clients’ service needs and the necessary budget. By establishing these parameters, you can target potential clients and quickly detect the ones that aren’t right for you.
Developing the agency’s focus is only part of the challenge, however. The other part was in letting everyone — including the clients and the team — know what that focus is. Tyler compared this to navigating a boat. When you communicate the focus it allows others to decide if they want to stay in the boat, jump off, or alter the course of the boat just a little bit and still reach the destination.
Setting Goals and Making Sure Your Agency Is on the Right Track
Once you’ve developed the focus of your agency and distilled your offerings down to a few specialties that you do really well, it is important to set goals to ensure you are keeping focus. This isn’t a one-shot deal. Goals should be set and revisited on a frequent basis. Each goal needs to be measurable. Rocket Clicks uses software that enables the process of setting these goals and gathering data needed to measure progress efficiently and with little effort required.
3 Ways to Use Communication as a Catalyst for Growing Your Agency
The key is communication in order to provide superior client service. Tyler recommends the following steps in using communication as a catalyst for agency growth:
- Avoid FOMO, fear of missing out. Many agency owners are honestly afraid of saying no to a client because they don’t want to miss out on the opportunity and the profit the client has to offer. Unfortunately, this often provides the hard lesson of taking on a client you can’t handle and subsequently losing that client. By clearly communicating with potential clients what services you are able to offer rather than approaching the relationship thinking about what you can get from the client, you build stronger relationships.
- Remember clients are people too. “At the end of the day, clients just want to feel like they matter. They want to know they’re being taken care of.” Rocket Clicks enforces this realization by eliminating the client services management role. Instead, the team member doing the work are the ones to communicate with the client.
- Empower your team from day one. Tyler prefers hiring new employees from other agencies. Every new hire undergoes a two-month training period. During this time they learn the Rocket Clicks way. However, right from the start, they’re encouraged to question everything. Feedback on processes and suggesting new methods are encouraged. This not only allows team members to play an important role but it gives the whole agency an opportunity to learn and grow from their experience.
Want to Help Your Team Be More Efficient and Scale Agency Faster?
If you want to help your team work smarter and scale your agency faster you need to check out the artificial intelligence software created by our friends at Morphio. It instantly alerts your team about digital marketing errors before they become problems, saving a huge amount of time. Their AI manages and analyzes data, so you can focus on growing your agency.
For a limited time, Morphio is offering Smart Agency podcast listeners a special deal to get you started. Sign up at Morphio.ai/Swenk and get 25% for a limited time.