Are You Working With the Right Clients to Grow Your Agency?
Do you struggle to find clients that align with your core values? Are you looking for a way to be able to choose who you work with? When you have a clear understanding of your true north and share your vision with others, the perfect clients will find you.
In today’s episode, we’ll cover:
- How your true north can help you find your agency’s niche.
- 3 ways to pick and choose your ideal clients.
- Why your agency needs to put people first.
Today I sat down with Eric Kiker agency partner at LRXD, a full-service digital agency in the health and happiness sector. Eric has been with the agency for 8 years and considers himself the chief relationship officer. He’s here to talk about how you can get to a point where you can choose your own clients and the importance of knowing who you are as an agency.
How Your True North Can Help Find Your Agency’s Niche
Your true north is where you see your agency and how you want your business to grow. While we often think of true north as agency values and culture, your vision should be at the core of determining your agency’s niche.
When we talk about niche, we often think about what type of businesses we want to work with or what services we will provide. But the true question is: “What type of values do you want to align yourself with?”
LXRD focuses on the health and happiness sector. They choose to work with companies whose goal is to bring health and happiness to the world. If a prospect is just in it for the money, they’re not a good fit. Take some time to figure out the types of clients your agency wants to work with, rather than focusing on specific industries.
3 Ways to Pick and Choose Your Ideal Clients
Every agency owner wants to get to a point where they can pick and choose who they work with. But often, this is easier said than done. Sometimes all it takes is a change in perspective:
- Focus on people, not brands. Too often we get caught up in big-name brands or clients who are the most profitable. But at the end of the day, the goal is to enjoy what you do. When you focus on the people and core values, you’ll have an easier time finding a match.
- Put your vision out there. As agency owners, we’re natural salespeople. We have a habit of telling potential clients what we think they want to hear. Don’t be afraid to be proud of your vision and put it out there. Not everyone will like you or believe in your mission and that’s okay. The ones that do are the ones you want to work with anyway.
- Be patient You won’t get to a place where you can choose who you work with overnight. It took LRXD nearly five years to get to this point. If you focus on people and look for opportunities for growth, the business will take care of itself.
Why Your Agency Needs to Put People First
People should be at the core of your true north. As an agency CEO, you should be the face of the agency. People have to know what you stand for. It may sound corny, but sometimes you have to lead with your heart before your head.
Any agency can pull together numbers, provide analytics, or a stellar sales pitch, what makes you unique is your attitude and values. When people know who you are and what you believe, there is no trickery or convincing. There will be plenty of people who dig what you do and those are the people you want to work with.
Finding the right clients won’t happen all at once. But once you begin working with the people you should be working with you’re going to be way more profitable, have the freedom to pick and choose, and be able to afford to bring on the right people.