There’s No Such Thing as a BAD Agency Client
I am going to start off telling you something that you will disagree with in the beginning…. There is no such thing as a bad agency client. Yes, that is true. I know you probably think I’m crazy but stick with me while I explain.
There are only two reasons you think you have a bad agency client. Do you want to hear them? Of course you do.
#1 They were a bad prospect and didn’t meet your agency criteria.
So, let me ask you a question. Do you take on every client? Do you have a set criteria that you follow each time and don’t bend the rules when you are getting low on cash flow?
Here are a few internal questions you should be asking yourself each time you talk to a prospect:
- Can the prospect clearly articulate what they want?
If the person you’re talking to has no idea what the goal and benefit of the project is, you’re walking into a trap. Whatever you do they will always be changing their mind and wanting more.
- Do they have a budget that you can make profit on?
How many times are you taking on new business that you normally would not because you need the money?
- Can your firm really deliver the results?
If you can’t, don’t do it. You’ll be mad, your team will be mad, and the client will be mad. And a mad client will tell everybody.
- Is the timing realistic?
If the prospect has an unrealistic expectation of when you will deliver the work, walk away. I can’t tell you how many times this has burned me. Don’t do it.
#2 Your process stinks.
Most agencies start out with a crappy proposal and documentation. The proposal is very vague, which will lead to clients asking for way more than you assumed.
- Document everything. It all starts with having a detailed proposal with all of the deliverables clearly laid out and the project timeline for each. Many times when a client would ask for something way off grid, I could go back to the detailed proposal that they signed and avoid scope creep.
- Follow checklists and processes. Self-explanatory but easier said than done, right?
What was your biggest take away from this video? Was it that your process stinks? Were you starting out with bad prospects? Let me hear your comments below.
So now you know that there is no such thing as a bad agency client. Myth debunked!