How Writing a Book Can Generate Leads & Influence
How Book Writing Can Generate Leads & Influence
Are you looking to become the authority in your agency’s niche? Writing a book can have a tremendous affect on your business by helping you build authority. You can also use your book to start conversations with potential clients and generate new agency business. Check out this simple strategy that is getting one digital agency owner some amazing results with book writing.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- Who has time to write a book?
- 3 easy steps to book writing.
- 4 tips for using your book to generate new business.
I had the opportunity to chat with Marty McDonald, co-founder and CEO of the full-service social media marketing agency, Bad Rhino. Marty has also authored the book, Great Beer Is NOT Enough. With over 12 years industry experience Marty found his agency’s niche at a speaking engagement, where he realized the craft beer industry was underserved in the marketing arena. After building relationships (and a craft beer brand himself which he used as a testing ground), Marty found that he had acquired a ton of information. He decided to use this information to build authority within the niche by simply writing a book. On today’s show, he shares how he tackled this seemingly daunting task and how he uses it for lead generation, and relationship building. (P.S. It’s not as daunting as you might think!)
Who Has Time To Write A Book?
The quick answer is, you do. (Yes, you!)
Does your agency already produce e-books, and you think that’s good enough? It’s not.
Using an e-book as a lead magnet is crap. No one digests them and they are easily overlooked or avoided. BUT an actual book, that a potential client can hold in their hands, that is something. It brings with it a sense of credibility and authority that no e-book can give you or your agency.
3 Easy Steps to Writing A Book
The process of book writing can be broken down in a few easy steps:
- The longest part of the process comes in the front end, answering lots of questions in order to acquire enough content. Marty did his on audio, that he broke up into two-hour chunks.
- If writing isn’t your thing, then get yourself a ghostwriter. Determine what size of book you are looking to create and hand over the audio with an outline to your writer.
- Edit the ghostwriter’s copy making sure it matches your style and voice after each chapter until your book is complete.
4 Tips for Using Your Book To Generate New Business
- Know your niche. When you find potential clients, send them a copy of your book. Do your mailings in short, little bursts.
- Do your research. Learn about the company your agency is going after and let them know you did your homework. Marty will place his business card in the chapter where he wants the potential client to start reading. The chapter he selects is based on the information he gathers beforehand.
- Build relationships. Use your book to start a conversation and be sure to add a personal touch. Marty includes a Bad Rhino branded thank you card in the book, with a handwritten note. He also very rarely sends a book out if he isn’t familiar with the targeted prospect.
- Be reachable. Consider including your cell phone number on your business cards, if you don’t already, so book recipients can shoot you a text if they are more comfortable. (Because even a text message can open up a conversation – and that’s all you need 🙂 )
These three easy tips have netted Marty with an approximate 70% response rate!
Ready to Discover the Best Agency Strategies Working Today?
Most agency owners struggle to scale. We’ve developed an amazing mastermind to guide you through the journey of implementing the right systems so you can scale your agency — instead of feeling overwhelmed by it.
We do this by bringing together successful agency leaders to share strategies, offer advice, and reveal what’s working (and what’s not working) in their agency. The truth is, whatever you want to accomplish in life, nothing will help you go further, faster than getting the right adviser in the context of motivated peers. If you want to GROW fast and smart, Digital Agency Elite mastermind will help.
You may think that now you’ve seen the light when it comes to book lighting and generating leads but what’s next?