How to Step-Up Your Agency’s PR Game and Generate More Leads
Do you want to get free exposure from podcasts, influencer videos, and TV stations? Want to generate leads at no cost? Are you ready to start building your personal brand? Growing a digital agency is all about attention. You want to get in as many people’s faces as possible. And you want them to think of you as an authority figure while they’re watching. To do that, you need to step up your PR game.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- How to create a killer agency PR pitch.
- #1 branding mistake your digital agency is making.
- Why you need to be the face of your agency.
- 3 ways to up your content game.
Today, I talked with Christina Nicholson, founder of Media Maven — a media relations and PR agency. Christina worked as a reporter and TV anchor for over 10 years before she decided to “transition to the other side” (a.k.a, she jumped ship and created her own PR agency.) Today, Christina has a team of 7 people, and she pumps out an incredible amount of content ranging from podcasts to blog posts and YouTube videos. She’s one of those agency owners than transcends their digital agency. And she didn’t get there by accident.
How to Create a Killer PR Pitch
Whether you want to get on the news, on an influencer’s YouTube channel, or on a podcast, you need a public relations pitch. Drop those old-school press releases in the trash can and draw up 6 or 7 sentences answering the following questions:
- What do you have to say?
- Why should anyone listen?
- What can you give the audience?
- Why is it relevant?
- Why is it important?
Try to make it topical. You may own a trash pickup service, but if you have some killer advice that is relevant to digital agency owners, you better believe I’ll have you on my podcast. It’s all about positioning. How can you take your experience, product, or service and apply them to a specific situation?
Look, if that trash pickup service owner tells me he understands how to sell his services to people, I’m not going to have him on the podcast. It just doesn’t resonate with my audience (that’s you!). But if he tells me he has tips on how to win clients with amazing on-the-spot pitches, regardless of the target audience, then he’s in! It may be the same information, but positioning, phrasing, and application of that information are totally different.
#1 Branding Mistake Your Digital Agency is Making
Most agency owners spend a ton of time branding. But are you branding… YOU? Personal branding is massive in today’s agency ecosystem. People like Gary Vee, Neil Patel, and Seth Godin have become more than their agency. They’ve become full-blown brands. And that’s what your clients expect.
Christina says you have to practice what you preach. You have to have the authority, social proof, and credibility to get clients to trust you and your agency. People want to work with people, not nameless agencies.
How do you self brand?
Having a personal brand breeds trust with clients and your team. Leverage your talents and make an identity for yourself. What happens when you Google your name? Does your bland LinkedIn profile popup? If so, you’ve got some work to do!
Why You Need To Be the Face of Your Agency
Once you start mastering personal branding, people are going to turn to you first. When prospects look at your agency, they’re going to have you in mind. So what happens when every client starts asking to work with you directly? It’s just not possible! You need to be the face of your agency. But you should never be the voice.
Let clients know you have an incredible team to help them. And, your team is their touchpoint. Also, let them know you take a personal interest in every account. You get the emails forwarded to you, and you’re working on the backend to make stuff happen. But you simply can’t be there to field their questions or touch base with them. Set those expectations early. Honestly, your clients will be ok with it.
The best example of this is Gary Vaynerchuk and VaynerMedia. Gary Vee isn’t going to personally oversee your account. He is the face of the agency and his clients know they aren’t going to work directly with him. Your clients secretly know that too. Just make sure you set those expectations early.
3 Ways to Up Your Content Game
Christina says you need tons of content in order to build your personal brand. But putting out tons of content is time-consuming, expensive, and difficult, right? So how do you do it?
- Use other people’s content. You don’t have to create and share your own content. When Christina knows this podcast is live, you better believe she’s going to share it on social media. Why? Because it brands her! It’s ok to share other people’s content. It’s even better if you were involved. This goes back to PR pitches. If you can get on those podcasts and social channels, you can share that content to brand yourself.
- Recycle your content. It’s not a sin to share the same piece of content 2, 3, or 20 times. We’re in a content-stuffed world. Think about how many pieces of content pop up on your social feeds and how many YouTube videos get recommended to you every day. Your audience is going to miss some of your content. So, as long as it’s still relevant, share it again! And keep sharing the same content year-after-year. You may have new people in your audience, or you may have people who missed it the first time around.
- Multiply your content. Did you create your first YouTube video? Sweet! You have 4 pieces of content now. How? You can multiply the content to make… more content. Check it out. With one long-form video, you can:
- slice up a few promos from the video to share on Instagram and LinkedIn.
- embed the long-form video on your site.
- upload the long-form video to Facebook and IGTV.
- create a blog post from the video.
You can stretch your content creation efforts by creating multiple pieces of content at once. Do more with less!
Would You Like More Leads for Your Agency?
If you want to get more leads with an 80% open rate and 25% click-through rate, you need to check out ManyChat. Engage prospects and build relationships with simple personalized experiences using the #1 bot platform for Facebook Messenger.
I’ve been using ManyChat for 3 years for connecting with prospects and converting leads. ManyChat bots are ideal for marketing, e-commerce, and support; making it easy to have automated conversations with prospects and customers. To connect with the 1.3 billion daily Facebook Messenger users, head to ManyChat.com and enter code: SwenkPro for a free one-month trial.